Coda File System

Re: Users and authentication

From: Ian Smith <ian_at_saltstonemedia.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 16:43:52 +0100

Steffen Neumann wrote:
> Ian Smith <ian_at_saltstonemedia.co.uk> writes:
> [...]
>
>>At various points (eg. chapter 9 of the admin guide) I see names like
>>u.hbovik (which somehow gets mapped to /coda/usr/hbovik - is this
>>relation hardcoded into coda somehow?).  If this is the case can I only
>
> No, the mapping is done via
>
> 	cfs mkmount vol.ume.name /coda/mount/point
>
> where both vol.ume.name and /coda/mount/point are arbitrary.
>
> So to organise your layout, do a
>
> 	mkdir /coda/homes/
> 	mkdir /coda/projects/

Once I manage to get to an account that can actually write to /coda . . . .

root_at_kryten:~# mkdir /coda/kryten.localdomain/homes
mkdir: cannot create directory `/coda/kryten.localdomain/homes':
Permission denied

64 $ mkdir /coda/kryten.localdomain/homes
mkdir: cannot create directory `/coda/kryten.localdomain/homes':
Permission denied

(the last one was the account I set up as admin in vice-setup - knoppix)

pdbtool> list
USER knoppix
   *  id: 1000
   *  belongs to groups: [ -1 ]
   *  cps: [ -1 1000 ]
   *  owns groups: [ -1 ]
USER System
   *  id: 1
   *  belongs to groups: [ -2 ]
   *  cps: [ -2 1 ]
   *  owns groups: [ -2 ]
GROUP System:AnyUser OWNED BY System
   *  id: -2
   *  owner id: 1
   *  belongs to no groups
   *  cps: [ -2 ]
   *  has members: [ 1 ]
GROUP System:Administrators OWNED BY knoppix
   *  id: -1
   *  owner id: 1000
   *  belongs to no groups
   *  cps: [ -1 ]
   *  has members: [ 1000 ]

> Whereas for other filesystems you would
>
> 	mount /dev/hda17 /coda/homes/
>
> (Mount to an existing directory) in Coda you do
>
> 	cfs mkm c.u.s /coda/homes/sneumann
>
> (you see, volume names are arbitrary) make the volume
> available as a new directory.

That's what I hoped, it's just that I haven't actually managed to mount
any voumes yet :(

>>Also, I understood that the root volume was mounted automatically, so
>>why would I want to do it manually?  How can I verify whether the root
>
> It was probably me who told you that,
> but it's been two years since I installed a server...
> So forget mounting root.

Consider it done ;)

  > Try list or l to see whats in there

OK that helped, see above

>>My attempt to use clog also failed:
>>
>>26 $ clog -host kryten.localdomain knoppix
>>username: knoppix_at_testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu
>>Password:
>>Invalid login (RPC2_NOTAUTHENTICATED (F)).
>

> Try just
> 	clog (if you're logged on as knoppix)

67 $ clog
username: knoppix_at_testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu
Password:

wrong server

> or	clog knoppix

68 $ clog knoppix
username: knoppix_at_testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu
Password:

wrong server

> or check the list archive for the new 6.0.x
> (See, I don't use 6.0.x yet) scheme which
> looks like (but not exactly)
>
> 	clog knoppix_at_kryten.localdomain

That fails too:

63 $ clog knoppix_at_kryten.localdomain
username: knoppix_at_kryten.localdomain
Password:
Invalid login (RPC2_NOTAUTHENTICATED (F)).

> Steffen,
> who is going home now.

Don't blame you ;)

- --