Coda File System

Re: Users and authentication

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 01:12:28 -0400
On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 12:51:19PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>     Jan> It uses the setting you (probably) specified with debconf
>     Jan> when venus was installed.
>
> Nope, I have _never_ been asked.  Anyway, it shouldn't have a hard-
> coded default, it should default to whatever the rootserver is set to.

Ok, the priority of that option was set to low and you probably have
debconf set to only bother you about medium or higher priority
questions. In any case it is mostly moot now as I removed the default
setting.

We can't default to a previously set rootservers setting because the new
option is quite different. A realm name is mapped to a set of servers
through either IN SRV dns records or an entry in /etc/coda/realms.
Rootservers and authservers configuration options are no longer used.
Only SRV lookups for _codasrv._udp.realm. and/or _codaauth2._udp.realm,
and the /etc/coda/realms file which is the realm equivalent of what
/etc/hosts does for normal DNS lookups.

> shouldn't set authserver or realm by debconf, either.  That's what I
> found most surprising: rootservers is replicated (I get a new copy
> with the old one commented out every time) while realm keeps getting
> reset without any notification from debconf.  So debconf does know my
> rootserver, but was using a hard-coded default for realm.

You probably saw and answered the rootserver question correctly but
never saw the realm question because its priority is too low.

> What I think would be good for Coda exposure to new users would be a
> single question:
>
>     I can set up the connection to CMU's Coda testserver.  This will
>     allow you to play in CMU's anonymous Coda area, and give Coda
>     access to the FTP download area so you can use cp(1) instead of
>     ftp(1) to access coda source files and documentation.  This

Hmm, then I'd have to keep the testserver ftp area in sync with the one
on the web/ftp server.

>     Do you want me to set up your client as part of CMU's testserver
>     cell?
>
>             [Yes]                [No]                [Cancel]

All of these answers have the same result, nothing. There is no special
configuration required.