Coda File System

Re: problem configuring client <WorkerInit: Version Skew with kernel!>

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:15:38 +0900

    Ricardo> 00:20:38 WorkerInit: Version Skew with kernel! Get a newer kernel!
    Ricardo> 00:20:38 WorkerInit: Kernel version is 2

    Ricardo> I'm running this on a Red Hat 9 with the Red Hat 8 Coda
    Ricardo> packages.  Is this a problem?

Yes.  At Version 6 the Coda kernel API was changed to support
"realms", ie, multiple named coda cells on a single client.  The old
kernel module does not support these, so it can't access the root
volume.

    Ricardo> What is the easiest way to correct it?

You could try Googling for "red hat coda kernel module realms rpm" or
something like that.  I bet there's one out there.

But it involves a rebuild of the kernel module so it's a little
touchy.

The straightforward way is to build a recent kernel.  In 2.5.x the
change is already in Linux IIRC.  In 2.4.x you need the patch in the
Coda cvs module "coda/kernel-src".  (If 2.5.x still needs patching on
Linus's tree, you can get the 2.5 patch there, too.)