Coda File System

ip address instead of hostname

From: <josef.schwarz_at_bt.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:28:57 +0100
Hi,

after searching docs and mailinglist I am not sure, if Coda heavily depends on a functioning /etc/hosts (or dns) infrastructure. I would prefer to use ip addresses instead, example given:

venus-setup 172.16.1.1 20000
instead of
venus-setup host1.test1 20000

so that I don't have to care about hostnames, FQDNs and so on.

I fear, however, that's not possible, http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/misc/vice-db-servers.html
[..]All of the stuff inside the codasrv process doesn't directly use ip-addresses, but uses the 'serverid'. [..]

And all these files apparently use the hostname instead of the ip address:
[root_at_redhat80 progs]# find /vice -exec grep -ln host1 {} \;
/vice/db/servers
/vice/db/scm
/vice/db/VSGDB
/vice/db/vicetab
/vice/misc/UpdateClntLog
/vice/vol/remote/host1.list
/vice/vol/BigVolumeList
/vice/hostname

Is there a switch during setup to forget the hostnames and only rely on ip addresses?
Or am I completely missing the point and it's already described in the howto's (hopefully not ;)

Thank you for your help.
Cheers,
--
Josef Schwarz