Coda File System

Re: ip address instead of hostname

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 15:21:05 -0400
On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 10:17:43AM +0200, Florian Schaefer wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:27:00 -0400, Jan Harkes said:
> > > /vice/db/scm
> >
> > Used only by updateclnt/updatesrv and the related init script. This name
> > will be compared against the output of 'hostname' (or maybe the contents
> > of /vice/hostname). So this probably would have to be a name.
> >
> > But for a single server you don't need the update daemons...
>
> Ehhm, does that mean that I don't need to start the update.init script if
> I have only one server running?

I'm not entirely sure about that, but it is quite likely that they are
not needed.

The update daemons are really only used to synchronize files in the
/vice/db directory between multiple servers. When updates are received
the updateclnt daemon signals the running Coda server that 'new
databases have arrived' and it can reload the VLDB and VRDB files.

Maybe that signal is still necessary for a single server, although it
just wrote the updated versions of these files. So if a server doesn't
know about newly created volumes when updateclnt isn't running, it is
probably a trivial change to make sure that it does.