Coda File System

Re: newbie question

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_cs.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:59:55 -0500
Hello Lucas,

> Im running Coda 6 and I do have a rootvolume.

> but when I run venus &, the directory /coda on the client, originally
> owned by root:root, now is owned by root with group 65534.

you can safely ignore owner and group info on Coda.
It is present mainly for historical reasons from old times
when there was one and only realm, and all clients and servers could have
coordinated numerical id-s. The owner/group information does not
influence access rights at all, it is acls which matter
(see cfs la <dir>)

You cannot mkmount directly in /coda/ as there are dynamic realm
directories. You cannot either mkmount in a non-existent directory.

You should get something like
(if your coda realm or server is called test.coda.your.domain)

ls -a /coda/test.coda.your.domain/
.  ..

there you can create files and directories (it will be on your root
volume) and create mountpoints as well.

cfs mkm /a/b/c/d

creates a mountpoint d but not a path /a/b/c/ leading to it.

you have to have /coda/some/path/ before you can create
/coda/some/path/anything

Do not forget also that in general you have to have credentials (being
authenticated to Coda) before you can create objects.
clog is your friend, to acquire credentials. ctokens shows your current
status.

I am forwarding this to the list, looks like it can be useful for others?

Regards,
--
Ivan