Coda File System

Re: hoard, disconnected usage advice?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:47:24 -0500
On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 07:57:45PM -0500, Richard M Kreuter wrote:
> (1) On my tiny (two host) coda cell, I find I'm not able to hoard as
> an unprivileged (non-root) user on the clients.  I've tried adding my
> uid to /etc/coda/venus.conf (primaryuser=<uid>), but the errors remain
> consistent.  I am able to hoard as root, however.  How does one hoard
> as a non-root user?

Not sure, the 'uid' would have to be the local userid that is allowed to
add hoard entries. I have it set as, primaryuser=1000 and it hasn't
failed for me yet.

If there is no primaryuser specification, the alternative test is to
make whoever is logged into the console the implicit primary user
('console' for all systems, except for Linux where we check 'tty1')

> (2) Next, when I try 'hoard walk' (as root), watching the log I see
> many of the following error:
>
> [ H(07) : 0009 : 17:14:36 ] fsdb::Create: (5084a7c8.7f000004.1556.d6c,
> 45000) failed

Are you trying to hoard more files than fit in the local cache?

'df -i /coda' might tell you the number of files that can be cached and
such. The client uses a simple formula based on the 'expected average
filesize', which is approximately 8000 files for a 200MB venus.cache.

> (3) In general, what is the recommended usage pattern for hoard?  I've
> monitored the venus.log on the coda client, and it seems that
> hoard/venus caches somewhat periodically in the background, but
> despite this, before disconnecting 'hoard walk' still takes a couple
> minutes (I'm trying to hoard about 1GB, I suppose).  Is this normal?

If not everything fits in the local cache, you'll just end up throwing
out data that you just fetched.

> (4) Finally, in my first attempt to reboot after hoarding and
> disconnecting, venus started, but failed to mount (?) the root volume
> for my realm (all I have is a dangling symlink in /coda after venus
> mounts /coda).  'cfs lc' shows the cache in its state from before
> disconnecting, but I can't figure out how to access the stuff I've
> hoarded.  The coda server's IP address is stored properly in
> /etc/hosts, too.  Any suggestions?

Not sure, I actually rarely restart venus while disconnected because I
tend to suspend my laptop, the typical uptime is several weeks at a time
(until I boot into a new kernel).

I'll try to look into this.