Coda File System

Re: hoard, disconnected usage advice?

From: Richard M Kreuter <kreuter_at_anduril.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:19:42 -0500
Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu> writes:

Firstly, thank you for answering my many questions.

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 07:57:45PM -0500, Richard M Kreuter wrote:
>> (1) On my tiny (two host) coda cell, I find I'm not able to hoard as
>> an unprivileged (non-root) user on the clients.
>
> If there is no primaryuser specification, the alternative test is to
> make whoever is logged into the console the implicit primary user
> ('console' for all systems, except for Linux where we check 'tty1')

I guess I'll hoard from tty1 then.

>> (2) Next, when I try 'hoard walk' (as root), watching the log I see
>> many of the following error...
>
> Are you trying to hoard more files than fit in the local cache?

Aha.  Yes.

> 'df -i /coda' might tell you the number of files that can be cached and
> such. The client uses a simple formula based on the 'expected average
> filesize', which is approximately 8000 files for a 200MB venus.cache.

I was at a loss for how to resize the cache, so I removed and
reinstalled the client.  For future reference, is it possible to
resize the cache?

> [Re: rebooting a disconnected client] Not sure, I actually rarely
> restart venus while disconnected because I tend to suspend my
> laptop, the typical uptime is several weeks at a time (until I boot
> into a new kernel).

Unfortunately, the APM on my laptop is reliably lousy, so that's not
an option for me.

I've found (and then lost) some hints in the mailing list archives
(ca. 1998-9) that suggest that venus is supposed to do operate
disconnectedly in case the servers' FQDN resolves at start time, and
the servers aren't reachable.  Is this so?  Or was it?

Also, how does a disconnected venus deal with token expiry?  I'd hope
it wouldn't expire a token while I was disconnected.

--

Thanks again for any instruction.  If I can get a handle on things,
I'll try to submit some patches to the documentation package

--
Richard