Coda File System

New user queries :)

From: Daniel Andersen <daniela_at_itconnect.net.au>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:28:18 +1000
Hi,

I'm playing around with Coda at the moment to see if it's suitable for our
needs here at work. What i'm trying to achieve is a system with a number of
web servers, all replicating changes to files off each other in realtime such
that we can transparently load-balance between them without any inconsistency
issues.
I currently have them working on a couple of test machines in a fairly
workable way, but i just thought i'd run it through the experts on this
mailing list to make sure i'm doing things the right way :) Basically i have
both machines running both client and server, sharing a replicated volume (or
whatever the correct term is), and both clients connecting to the server on
the local machine.
Am i correct in assuming that, if one server goes down for whatever reason,
the other will continue to function without a problem until the other comes
back up, and then pass back any changes that occurred while it was gone?
Also, if the SCM was removed to install a larger hard drive, is moving the
settings over as simple as copying the /vicepa and /vice directories over, or
would there be more to it?
Two more questions and then I'm done. Is this system actually production-ready
or would i be better off seeking alternative solutions? And finally, which
version would i be best off using? I'm using 6.0.3 at the moment,which seems
fairly stable, but i haven't done much more tha nsome very basic testing at
the moment.

Thanks for your time,
Daniel