Coda File System

Multiple servers on single machine with single NIC and IP?

From: Samir Patel <coda_at_allenport.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 13:10:09 -0500
Hello,

I've got the following scenario that I'm trying to work out...

Our system has two distinct types of files:
  1 - Application files (all the files associated with a package such as
Mozilla and OpenOffice).
  2 - Data files (user's home directories).

Mainly for clean organization, but also for future scalability, I wanted
to run two distinct servers... one would contain the applications and
the other would contain user data.  Is it possible to do this using just
one machine with just one NIC and one IP address?  The logical way of
setting this up would be to use one large Coda server and appropriately
organize the volumes.  But I'm not sure about Coda's upper bounds for
server size.  I might be confused, but the server installation scripts
seems to suggest that using an RVM of 315MB is good enough for a almost
9GB of user data.  Is this true?  What's the best way of creating a Coda
server (or stack of servers on a single machine), that can hold
somewhere between 40-60GB of data?  The sizes of files will vary from
just a few KB to up to a few MB.... might have some larger files, but
very few >20MB files.  I know that people have discussed RVM limitations
in the past, but I'm still not 100% clear on them.  Also, what's the
easiest way to check RVM usage?

So I suppose the above boils down to the following two questions that
don't seem to have been addressed in the past (or I might not be looking
hard enough ;):

 (1) how does RVM size effect total server size and how can RVM be
checked?

and

 (2) is it possible to run more than one server on one machine with a
single IP address?

Thanks,

Samir