Coda File System

Re: Venus wants newer kernel

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:12:06 -0500
On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 02:06:01PM +0100, Maik Hentsche wrote:
> My kernel is linux 2.4.24, the coda-client is the one, installed by
> debian unstable. I do not want to install coda from source and 2.6 is
> much to instable for my production systems. So what do I have to do, to
> get a version, that works with 2.4.24 (or even better with some versions
> below, maybe down to 2.4.20, because thats the version on my laptop).

Grab ftp.coda.cs.cmu.edu:/pub/coda/linux/kernel/linux-coda-6.0.0.tgz

    tar -xzf linux-coda-6.0.0.tgz
    cd linux-coda
    make config
    make coda.o
    cp linux2.4/coda.o /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/fs/coda

It does need the correct kernel headers of the currently running kernel
to get the exported symbols right and things like that. That is a bit of
a pain, and I'm sure that in most cases make config will be unable to
figure everything out automatically.