Coda File System

Re: Misleading version msgs / state of coda

From: Lionix <lio_at_absium.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:25:50 +0100
shivers_at_cc.gatech.edu wrote:

>   I understand this issue, now. The v5.3.18 message is from the linux coda.o
>kernel module; it's not the release number of the venus client. Venus doesn't
>seem to drop a message in the unix log when it comes up, so it's easy to
>confuse coda.o's
>    Jan 16 17:50:29 mongkok kernel: Coda Kernel/Venus communications, v5.3.18, coda_at_cs.cmu.edu
>message and think it was a message from venus.
>

>Both the coda kernel module code in the very latest 2.4 kernel (2.4.24) and
>the coda kernel module code in the CVS checkout from CMU have this 5.3.18
>version string as of today. Venus leaves its msg in /usr/coda/etc/console, and
>mine says it is version 6.0.3. So I *thought* I had a release mismatch, but I
>didn't; I'm good. This logging & version mismatch is pretty confusing!

Was it under BSD or the red-hat ?

>    The repair code is a bit dicey.  Basically, it is incorrect in spots.
>    I don't understand the details.
>
>Wow! That's *amazing*; I'm suprised. Doesn't that spook people?
>
>    But with a raid array sytem you soon have a little tolerance sytem no ????
>    >Do you plan to replicate you raid storage servers
>
>I'm sorry, Lionix, I don't understand your statement. Could you run that by me
>again? Are you saying that with a raid array I'll have no assurance against
>things like power failure?

Sure no .. you can add redudant alimentations,  and electricity storage
/ groups ...
I was just wondering what you were looking for with coda...
Because the amount of storage was the one of big ones....
Or a lot of littles coda ones ??? :o)

>If so, the answer is that high availability is
>outside the scope/budget of my little amateur server project. What I hope to
>get is assurance against data loss, not assurance against downtime of server.

Coda could help in that way....

>I also don't understand this. Are you saying I can't back up a volume bigger
>than 2Gb?

2GB sorry..... ( again the missmatch beetween "B" and "b")

> Or are you referring to linux' problems with single files bigger
>than 2Gb?

Refere to backup volume tools in coda...
Gona find the url in the ML again :
http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/maillists/codalist/codalist-2003/5243.html

>Here is about what I don't have a clear picture. The first versions of Coda
>were being used by my grad school friends about the time I finished up at CMU,
>in 1991.

Wow !
My story is more recent... I discover coda at the end of 2002...
Unfortunetly I could not use/spend as many time I wish to coda...

> Here we are, 13 *years* later. It's very unusual for a single
>research project on something like a filesystem to go on that long; typically
>the life cycle of a particular research system is shorter. So my *expectation*
>would be that Satya & students have moved on to other things. If true, then
>who is hacking/supporting/extending coda in 2004? If falst -- if CMU is
>actively driving Coda now -- that's also interesting. And if they are, why?
>What's the current story? And who is paying for it? I am just generally
>curious as to what is the story on coda these days, since my last real contact
>w/it, as I said, was 1991.

It would be nice to know... But you would have to wait for Jan's reponse...
He's the current maintenair... Certainly the reseach director or
something in the same way...
Gonna let him introduce...

What I could add is :
Support is your brain, the ML archive and the ML!

>I also note that (from perusing the sources & docs) what appears to be one
>of the principal hackers, Braam, seems to have taken off to do a follow-on
>project, lustre, at Clusterfs. So, again, I wonder how this ties up to the
>current coda story.

The system is "hacked" sometimes by users, at each level of their
knowledge...
Improve yourself ! ( What a nice slogan ! :o)

>When I browse around the coda web pages, I get an inconsistent picture
>that's hard to put together -- some pages make it look like a dead/static
>project (out of date / missing doc that hasn't been updated in years),
>and other pages are vibrant & lively & thriving.

A coda strory...
There is some recents vibrant pages now on the site yep !!!!
The web site gain some new pages recently....
He was at the image of some documentations : a little bit out of date...
Coda is living, improving....
And gain to have disappear his "[Experimental]" flag in the kernel
compilation !
 :o)

>I have always (by which I mean, for over 10 years) figured coda or the
>ideas in it was The Right Thing, and keep being amazed that it isn't
>much, much more widely used. But perhaps the issue is the sheer size
>& complexity of the system.

Yeps here is a point...
Just have a look at the time you need to understand the concept of coda...
Read some docs , understand, practice and understand...
Or just understand what people are speaking about on the ML took a
certain time...
You have to forget most you've learned and strart "thinking coda", and
it's sometimes a hard job...

"You know unix ? Now you have to learn coda !!! Hang on boy !!!"
( an other slogan ! :o)

> It's not like setting up NFS on your box!

Very far from it...
Definitly !

--
Lionix