Coda File System

Re: Disconnected startup (kind of still is Re: Hoarding files with spaces in the name)

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:15:57 +0100 (MET)
On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Jason A. Pattie wrote:

> disconnected.  The other times, I have to reinitialize.  I guess it
> doesn't help, too, that my laptop ran out of space.  I deleted some of
> the .tar[.old] files in /var/lib/coda/spool/<uid> to clear up some
> space.  I guess this could potentially be cause for data loss? (i.e.,
> parts of KDE got messed up, my background changed back to the default,
> the fonts changed, etc.)

It can cause all weird types of data loss.
Are you sure you did not run out of space early while debugging venus?

My way of reinitializing venus:
(not that I need it often, usually I do not observe crashes, but neither
start disconnected often)

rm -rf ..../ (the directory where my DATA,LOG,log,spool,venus.cache live,
              hope you have them in one place, too)
venus-setup "$DEFAULTREALM" "$dim" (creates all the necessary dirs...)

So you get rid of all old temporary objects.

Hope it helps,
--
Ivan