Coda File System

Re: coda on NetBSD/sparc64? (32-bit mode?)

From: Brett Lymn <blymn_at_baesystems.com.au>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:09:46 +1030
On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 10:16:21AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Has anyone gotten coda (venus) to work on NetBSD/sparc64 (runs on
> ultrasparcs), or Solaris/sparc64?

not that I know of, getting coda running on amd64 is on my (every
growing) "to do" list.

> 64k/64u:
>
> It seems that coda/coda-src/venus etc. is simply not yet 64-bit clean,
> so just building/running it is right out.

Ultimately, in my opinion, this is where coda/venus should be - be
LP64 clean but this will mean some underlying infrastructure changes
that will mean that old clients & servers will break when combined
with new clients/servers.  Which may require a "flag day" at a site to
change everyone over to the new code.  The only out would be if the
rpc2 interface is versioned or not - I have not checked - if it was
versioned then some clevers may be pulled in the server code to
provide some backward compatiability which would obviate the need for
a flag day.

> 64k/32u:
>
> The kernel code is likely 64-bit ok, or can be made so without too
> much work.
>
> The userland venus should be fine.  It's not clear how to cross-build,
> but I could certainly build on NetBSD/sparc and move binaries over.

If you are using -current then making cross-compilers is very easy.
The /usr/src/build.sh will quite happily construct a cross toolchain
for you and it is very simple to do, in fact cross building the netbsd
os is very simple.  With careful setup you should be able to
crossbuild coda using the cross toolchain.

> 32k/32u:
>
> This should Just Work.
> But on such a system one cannot run 64-bit binaries.  So this is
> basically running the whole ultrasparc system in 32-bit mode.
> Nevertheless, this may be a sensible plan.

Hardly any point in having 64bit capable hardware then, is there? ;)

--
Brett Lymn