Coda File System

Re: Amanda differences: 2.4.4p1 (installed) vs. 2.4.4-2 (compiled)

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:42:34 -0500
On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 11:12:50AM -0600, Jason A. Pattie wrote:
> Amazingly the backup succeeded last night.  But the amverify for the
> coda volumes failed.  The error message included:
>
> Using device /dev/nst0
> Volume Daily204, Date 20040225
> Skipped <coda file server name>.coda.root.20040225.0 (** Cannot do
> /usr/sbin/volutil dumps)
> .
> .
> .
> Skipped <coda file server name>.internal.private.20040225.0 (** Cannot
> do /usr/sbin/volutil dumps)
> End-of-Tape detected.
>
> When I ran '/usr/sbin/volutil dumps' as the 'backup' user, I got the
> usage information for volutil.  In it I saw the command 'dump' but not
> 'dumps'.  I did a cursory grep through the amanda sources, but couldn't
> come up with a location in the code that volutil is called with dumps.
>
> Is this an error that can safely be ignored? or is there even a way to
> verify the dumps that are made to tape?

I just looked at what amverify actually does and it tries to build an
index or catalogue of the contents of the backup dump. However there
isn't such a tool for dumps made with volutil, so it correctly reports
cannot index 'volutil-type dump files'.

The only way to check I guess would be to amrestore one of the dumps and
then use volutil restore to upload it to a server.

Hmm, just looked at what that readdump program is trying to do, you can
look at some of the metadata, but that will only tell you if the
beginning of the dump is usable.

    $ readdump <dumpfile>
    dump> openDumpFile
    dump> showHeader