Coda File System

Re: Replicated volume upgrades

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:40:39 -0500
On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 03:31:13PM -0600, Jason A. Pattie wrote:

> |>An intermediate volume is not really necessary, you can copy the data to
> |>any storage area, to a local disk or somewhere else (make a tar archive
> |>and in some way remember the acls for all directories...)
>
> What's an easy way to do that?  When I initially setup the directories
> and copied the files into the volume, I had to manually go through all
> the directory structures and set the ACL permissions.  If I want all the
> directories in a particular volume or even under the current directory
> to have the same permissions for a particular user/group, is there some
> recursive way to do this with a single command?  Currently, I've been
> using the find command for type == directory piping the output to xargs
> and running 'cfs sa <foo>'.

Normally the 'default' ACL value is taken from the parent when a
directory is created. The way you describe the 'find | xargs', you seem
to have mostly identical acls on all directories in a volume.

So you could create the volume, and then set the ACL on the root of the
volume before copying anything into it. Then all directory will
have whatever ACL you set initially.

Otherwise, yeah 'find . -type d -exec cfs sa {} ..... \;'