Coda File System

Re: adding more disk space to server

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:05:36 -0500
On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 05:17:08AM -0800, Steve Simitzis wrote:
> /vicepa (about 25GB) is filling up, but rvmutl reports that i'm only
> using about 3% of my 1GB log. so i figured it would be safe to add
> another partition to run with my existing RVM log.

Log isn't all that important. The servers tend to truncate it after
every operation. I don't think I've ever had a log that needed to be
larger than about 20MB.

> Status of log:           /dev/sdb3
>
>   space used by records:    2367936

You seem to have about 2.5MB in use. I'm not sure if this is peak or
current usage.

The important size is RVM data. The only way to get it is check the
logs, once every 1000 operations or so the server dumps a lot of
internal statistics one of which is 'RDS Statistics' (you can also
trigger a dump with volutil printstats).

    05:21:57 Printing RDS statistics

    Number of
     Free bytes:     66a4060
     Alloced bytes:  495bc40

The numbers are in hex, but here we see clearly that on this server less than
50% of RVM data is allocated.

> i'm assuming it's a simple matter of mounting the new partition
> as /vicepb and adding it to vicetab:
>
> db        /vicepa   ftree   width=256,depth=3
> db        /vicepb   ftree   width=256,depth=3
>
> and then touching /vicepb/FTREEDB

Then restart the server, it only re-reads the vicetab file during startup.