Coda File System

Re: Compat between 5.x and 6.x ?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:34:48 -0500
On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 12:54:24PM +0100, Francis GUDIN wrote:
> I'm fairly new to CodaFS, in fact, just starting to configure it !
> For the moment, everything's fine. But i might have a problem on one of
> my machine: it's running FreeBSD 4.x and i could only run coda5 on it as
> per the ports' comment ("4.x is lacking kernel support for coda6").
> My servers will run coda6 (could fall back to 5, though): will my 5ish
> client run 100% OK with them ? I'd like to avoid as possible stability
> issues.

Yes, only the kernel-userspace interface was changed, client-server
communication is still identical.

> Other related question: still aiming at stability, would 5.x be more
> reliable over the latest 6.x ?

Coda 6.0 servers should be more stable, no big features were added and
some bugs got fixed. The first couple of 6.0 client releases were still
shaking the bugs out of some new code (realms). I believe that the 6.0.3
client (and definitely the current code in CVS) has finally fixed most
realm related issues.