Coda File System

Re: Coda release 6.0.4

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:30:48 -0500
On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 10:03:36PM -0800, Steve Simitzis wrote:
> i always love new coda releases.

Yeah, I should make them more often ;)

> i was wondering - is this problem fixed in the latest update?
>
> 20:20:54 fatal error -- Assertion failed: file "/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/coda-6.0.3/coda-src/venus/fso_cfscalls2.cc", line 281

Ehh, not as far as I know. That's triggered when the kernel tells venus
to close a file that isn't open.

I guess we 'could' ignore such an upcall, but on the other hand this is
something that should never ever happen in real life unless there is a
bug somewhere else.

The problem here is that because venus didn't know the file was still
open, it was free to purge it as a result of cache pressure which would
have been even worse (kernel oops when accessing the no-longer-existing
container file).

What kernel were you running and if it is 2.4 did you patch it, or use
the linux-coda-6.0.0 tarball?