Coda File System

Re: coda

From: <bsilverman_at_nc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:22:15 -0400
On 2004-03-20 Paul Prantilla wrote:

>Btw, did you try putting the ff line in your /etc/coda/realms? :
>xp2600pro <ip address of xp2600pro>
>That's what I usually do when I can't clog to a newly installed coda
server despite being able to ping it. It >would work then after I put that
line. Before I figured that one out, I had to do something like "clog
>impact24_at_192.168.0.1" to get it going.

My own experience, very limited, tells me that this is not a good thing to
do. In my case, I followed Paul and had

laptop 192.168.0.154

added to the realms file, and then I did a

venus-setup laptop 20000

(Note that this post deals entirely with the situation where I have no
private DNS server to resolve the IP address of "laptop.")

Then I started up venus.  I was able to cd to both directories
/coda/192.168.0.154 and also to /coda/laptop.

However, before long, I was finding that I could not view what was
underneath -- some type of conflict may have occured.

What I found to be reliable is the following:

1) NO additions to the realms file

2) venus-setup 192.168.0.154 20000

3) Start venus

Now, /coda/laptop is not found,  but /coda/192.168.0.154 is found, and it
seems to be very reliable.  Granted, this is only 10 or 20 minutes of
testing (after a day of "figuring".)

RELATED ITEM:

I can use HELP though from someone who can show me what configuration
steps I need to take so that I can create a symbolic link such that:

/coda/l -> /coda/192.168.0.154

thereby giving me a very small amount of typing and a very short prompt,
rather than having things stretch out on the terminal window.  Currently I
have no non zero size CodaRoot volume that allows me to do that, and "ln
-s ..." gives me an error.  I am asking about something that was done
extensively at IBM when they used AFS and had many cells.  For example,
the cell

/afs/lair.raleigh.ibm.com

was abbreviated with a link:

/afs/lair -> /afs/lair.raleigh.ibm.com

By the way,  I understand that IBM is migrating away from the use of AFS
internally and is trying to replace that superstructure with something
based around something like NFS.  Sadly I think I can understand why:  all
these lockups, conflicts and so forth do not make for a user friendly
system -- even for highly technical users.  My question is, with enough
time and energy and work put into the complex CODA system -- can it be
made to be as user friendly as the simple NFS like systems? Or is that a
misguided wish.

Burt Silverman