Coda File System

Re: Making large coda volumes

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 16:15:47 -0400
On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 10:51:41AM -0400, shivers_at_cc.gatech.edu wrote:
> - The mysterious recipe encoded in the vice-setup script doesn't hack
>   setting up a large coda volume. Suppose I wish to make a 140Gb
>   coda volume. With the 4% rule, that means a 5.6 Gb metadata partition.
>   Well, the script will not allow me to enter either 140Gb or 5.6Gb --
>   if I do so, if announces that it will refuse to carry out some other part
>   of the config and on my own head be it.
>
>   So, how would I set up a coda volume of this size?

The 4% rule was a nice number pulled out of the air, but not really
relevant to most people who want to store hundreds of gigabytes of data
as the average filesize is often a lot larger.

See for more information,

    http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/misc/rvm-usage.html
    http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/maillists/codalist/codalist-2003/5931.html
    http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/coda/coda-src/smon2/rvmsizer.c
    (the rvmsizer tool should also be installed by recent coda-server
    packages as /usr/bin/rvmsizer)

> - Also, when you enter a number of megabytes into the script, are the units
>   binary 2^20 megabytes (aka "mib"), or decimal 10^6 megabytes (aka "mb")?
>   I have this fear of something horrible happening to my hard drive because
>   there was a misunderstanding on this issue.

Ehhh, I think they are binary megabytes.