Coda File System

Re: RVM metadata & VM

From: <shivers_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 16:30:49 -0400
   I don't know what kind of computer you have, but 32-bit machines don't
   have more than 4GB addressable address space for a given process. And
   large parts of this are unusable because they are reserved for the
   kernel (upper GB?), used by shared libraries, process heap and stack,
   etc.

D'oh. Of course. (Yes, I'm on an x86.)

   You can probably only get away with a maximum of 2GB of RVM data for a
   given server process.

So you are saying that I should not bother allocating an RVM data partition
larger than 2Gb, no matter *how* big my volume is, right?

Let us suppose I allocate a 2Gb RVM data partition. Does this have an impact
on my allocation of swap partitions? I.e., do I need to ensure I have swap
space to cover all my old needs *plus* *another* 2Gb for each 2Gb RVM data
partition? I.e., is this a correct interpretation of your remarks:
  - Suppose I intend to have a coda server for a big filesys, and I allocate
    a 2Gb RVM data partition.
  - I had calculated that 2Gb of swap space was adequate for my non-coda
    processes.
  - So I allocate a 4Gb swap partition.
Yes? No?
    -Olin