Coda File System

Re: fqdn & host names

From: <shivers_at_cc.gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 23:29:49 -0400
   > > The questions are:
   > >   - Why are host names stored this way? Why not as an fqdn?
   >
   > I don't know, all of the binaries tend to resolve the name and test for
   > equality by comparing the ip-addresses. One reason for the short names
   > might be that people were testing Coda on local networks with private
   > ip-addresses and no DNS, but did have 'resolvable' hostname entries in
   > /etc/hosts. Those are not necesarily specified as fqdn.
   >
   > >   - Can I alter these files to use fqdn's with impunity?
   >
   > Sure, you should even be able to mix and match, although some of the
   > shell scripts might not like that too much, they are probably comparing
   > based on the actual strings.

Okay. Thanks. What's weird is that the scripts go out of their way (with sed
hackery or something along those lines) to force fqdn's to the leaf name:
    bigboote.yoyodyne.com -> bigboote
This made me nervous -- i.e., you think "there must be some reason someone
went out of their way to make this happen."

Why not just have the setup scripts take whatever they're given? Installing
on a local net, enter "bigboote". Installing on internet, enter an fqdn.
    -Olin