Coda File System

Re: CODA performance with very low bandwidth

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 14:41:30 +0900

    Juan> I've not found around there any benchmark or article about
    Juan> CODA working with a bandwith as low as 64Kbps.

I've done this, with speeds as low as 14.4kbps.  It works fine for me,
but there are some things you should be aware of.  Coda works on the
basis of full file caching, with simultaneous writes to all servers.
First, that means that if the file changes on the server, the user
will need to download the whole thing, which might take many seconds
for a large Word file.  If the user is mostly creating files locally
which then get uploaded to the server, and any updates are made by
that user.

On the other hand, if different users are editing the same files, then
you might be better off with a different method that only sends
changes.

So if what you mean by "not intensive" is that any given user is
unlikely to be repeatedly viewing a file that is changing on the
server between views, Coda should work very well for you.