Coda File System

Re: Problems with large files?

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 09:46:41 +0200
Hello Michael,

> > Whole file caching is fundamental for Coda, and you have to have space
> > for at least all simultaneously open files.
> But files > cachesize _will_ exist and users want to be "unlimited"!

sure, they will. It does not change anything.

If you want to access a file, you have to have a client capable of that.

1. It has to run Venus (and have all the libraries and configuration files)
2. It has to have enough cache space

Alas, the above are requirements, not options...

> > (CVS essentially is not compatible with Coda - it relies on exclusive
> > access/locking which in general does not exist on Coda.
> > I do not say it cannot be used, but I suppose its usefulness is very limited.)
> But that is only of interest, if the repository itself had been on a
> coda-volume, which is not the case - I just checked out a working copy!

Ah of course it is possible to check out onto Coda.
Just do not put a repository there.

Regards,
--
Ivan