Coda File System

Benchmark results- poor write performance without wb caching

From: Gabriel Wicke <groups_at_gabrielwicke.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 01:04:56 +0200
I've posted my simplistic benchmark results at
http://coda.wikidev.net/Small_file_performance.
Write-back caching was disabled as calling 'cfs wbstart <dir>' reliably
freezes venus. Disk i/o was extremely high during creation/deletion of
1000 very small files, not sure if this is related to using xfs rather
than ext2.

Are there ideas or plans on how to improve write performance? Jan
indicated in an earlier post [1] that the main reason is the synchronous
operation with fsync and possibly tcp handling.

I'm trying to install OpenAFS as well to do the same benchmark, its
support for 2.6 is a bit lacking though.

1.) http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/maillists/codalist/codalist-2003/5021.html
--
Gabriel Wicke