Coda File System

Re: problems with truncated backups

From: Steve Simitzis <steve_at_saturn5.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:09:12 -0700
on second thought, i've given up on the coda backup system. no offense
to the smart people who make coda a great system to use, but the backup
system is too fragile to be trusted for production applications. nothing
worries me more than the possibility of "write-only" backups.

after a couple of years of success using rdiff-backup for source code
and general system backups, i just started using it for my coda
backups. rdiff-backup reads from the mounted coda filesystem and
writes the backup to cheap disk. it maintains a live mirror with diffs
going back as far as you want. it's an excellent tool.

http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/

you can run the backup using only one line of code, with no configuration
required. just run venus on your backup host.

rdiff-backup /coda/db.domain.com/ /home/backup/mirror