Coda File System

Re: New cell/server setup

From: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer_at_hozed.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 11:23:08 -0500
On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 09:46:51AM +0200, Ivan Popov wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 12:20:59AM -0500, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> > I've gone through vice-setup, but the documentation seems to be pretty
> > stale on how to get a new cell (let's say 'hozed.org') to show up.
> >
> > I see mention of DNS SRV records and such, but is this new cell setup
> > documented anywhere?
>
> Hello Troy,
>
> once you got your first server running
>
> you should be able to access your realm from any client in several ways
> (and even via several names/paths, which is evil and not supposed
> to be used for more that troubleshooting)
>
> The "supposed" ways:
>
> The normal one:
> /coda/<dns-srv-record-explained-elsewhere>/.....
>
> (see http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/maillists/codalist/codalist-2004/6371.html,
> though the html-ization has broken Jan's example...)
>
> When you cannot acquire an srv record:
> /coda/<coda-server-fqdn>/.....
>
> The "avoidable" ways:
> /coda/<coda-server-ip-number>/.....
> /coda/<coda-server-name-mentioned-in-etc-hosts-on-client>/.....
> /coda/<name-from-"realms"-file-on-the-client>/.....

The IP address trick works. (/coda/192.168.33.20 is visible) Now I can
play with breaking it ;)

Who's in charge of the coda documentation? Can we get this updated
somewhere? Particularly the SRV record stuf..

Troy Benjegerdes                'da hozer'                hozer_at_hozed.org

Somone asked my why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it
because life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why
I draw cartoons. It's my life." -- Charles Shultz