Coda File System

Re: fsobj::dir_Creat: Create failed, and resolve problems

From: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer_at_hozed.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 17:09:48 -0500
> > Hrrm.. I bet the directory filled up.. what determines how many files a
> > directory can have?
> >
> > hozer_at_kalmia Maildir$ ls -ld .drgw/new
> > drwx------    2 hozer    hozer      356352 Jul 16 14:42 .drgw/new
> > hozer_at_kalmia Maildir$ ls .drgw/new/ | wc
> >    4174    4174  320338
> >
> > So.. the directory size (on ext3 is 356K), with 4174 files...
>
> Ahh, there is a stupid limit, there are no double indirect blocks in the
> RVM layout of Coda directories, so they can't exceed 256KB (roughly
> about 4096 filenames in a maildir directory).

Can this be increased? Is there a tradeoff involved? I have a couple of
maildirs (mailing lists) over 4000 messages (my linux-kernel box has
7000).

I'd say 16K messages (1MB of directory size) is a reasonable hard limit
though.

Although I would probably be willing to reduce my useage below 4K
messages if I knew how to make venus behave nicely when I go over the
limit ;)