Coda File System

Re: codasrv crashes, won't come back up, production server down :(

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:32:59 -0400
On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 11:15:51AM -0700, Steve Simitzis wrote:
> aha, fantastic.
>
> would you recommend stopping all venus clients from running while
> in this "unsafe" mode?
>
> i was thinking that i would bring it back up, tar the data to local
> disk, then purge the troubled volume once the data is safe. then
> i would restore the tar file into a fresh new volume.
>
> do you see any flaws with that approach?

That sounds like the way to go. Stopping the other clients should
prevent any accidental writes, and take as much load off the server as
possible so that we can hopefully get the data off without any
disconnections.

I'm wondering if there are some flags to relax the rpc2 timeouts to a
minute or more (instead of the current 15 seconds). That should add a
bit to the overall reliability.