Coda File System

Re: Partial success with Mac OS X coda client

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 14:33:55 -0400
(resend, forgot to include codalist)

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 03:05:04PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> own and testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu.  With Pekka's patch, the Finder
> finds /coda and /coda/tleepslib.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp (my server), but it
> can't list my root volume claiming it's not registered or something
> like that (it's in Japanese).  It also shows up as a network volume
> (in a frame of the finder with the hard drive local volume, and some
> Apple-specific network volumes).  The testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu realm
> doesn't show up in either place, even if I ls or cd to it.

Interesing, this could very well be a more general problem related to
the realms. Phil Nelson has been having similar problems with Windows.
It only shows the first accessed realm in /coda, any further realms
don't seem to create new directory entries. Not sure what could be the
problem though.

> such file or directory error, while ls -l shows not directories but
> the magic symlink from a Coda mount point to the volume (eg, ls -l
> /coda/tleepslib.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/Software/XEmacs would produce
> information of the form
>
> total 2541
> -rw-r--r--   1 codakami nogroup  147169 Jan  9  2003 #21.5-20030103.diff#
> lrw-r--r--  15 codakami nogroup       9 Nov 10  2001 21.1 -> #xe:21-1
> lrw-r--r--  15 codakami nogroup       9 Nov 10  2001 21.4 -> #xe:21-4
> lrw-r--r--  15 codakami nogroup       9 Feb  5  2002 21.5 -> #xe:21-5
> -rw-r--r--   1 codakami nogroup  147351 Jan  3  2003 21.5-20030103.diff~
> drwxr-xr-x   3 codakami nogroup    2048 Aug 29  2003 CVSROOT
> drwxr-xr-x   3 codakami nogroup    2048 Feb 22  2002 InfoDock

Not sure, the getattr should trigger an attempted mountpoint traversal.
Reinitialize venus and run it with debuglevel 100 (venus -init -d 100),
then do the same ls and send me the venus.log. It might just be
something obvious that is easy to find.

> I'm currently having problems with authentication, it's not finding
> the authserver for my realm although I have an authservers line in
> venus.conf, nor the testserver realm.  But in an earlier build, before

I didn't think we still used authservers. clog should be using the same
realm lookup codepaths as venus, I figured that using identical code in
both cases might make it less prone to unexpected problems.

> not clog -host testserver... guest_at_testserver... (I guess testserver's
> authserver is not testserver?)  I suspect that somehow the necessary

Just checked, auth2 was running, but something was off so it didn't
think it was the SCM. But that should only make it readonly, so I can't
really see why it would have a problem. I just noticed that I can't even
resolve testserver at the moment, have to figure that one out before I
can check further.