Coda File System

Re: Server and Client on same machine?

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 15:30:05 +0200
Hello Ted,

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 08:58:48AM -0400, Ted Watson wrote:
> Is it possible to run the Coda server and client on the same machine?

sure, they are totally independent and will talk to each other over IP anyway.

> I achieved success in running a client on a replica server but I am not able
> to acquire tokens using a client on the SCM.

It means something is wrong in your setup.
Both clients should be able to reach both servers.

> Our purpose is to launch NFS in front of Coda.

I doubt running NFS as a front end to Coda is a good idea.

How are you going to authenticate your nfs server daemon?
Shall it switch uids depending on which uid is making a request from a client?
If you let it modify files on Coda, how to repair conflicts then?

My 2c,
--
Ivan