Coda File System

Re: Is Coda right for me?

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:28:31 +0200
On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 12:01:37AM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> >Certainly Coda is the best fs in that aspect. The question is what you
> >mean by "globalness". Some approximation like AFS does it can be ok.
> >

> How are the name spaces of Coda and AFS different?  Up until now I
> thought they are pretty similar in that respect...

Hi Mike,

in AFS the contents of /afs is defined by a file to be present on each client.
I.e. the file name space is defined by the client, not really global.
That's why you can see "shortcuts" there which would not work on another client.
So clients from different administration domains often can not access the
same files via same names.

Coda uses DNS which is global by design. You can always reach any realm,
without any intervention of the client administrator.

Regards,
--
Ivan