Coda File System

Re: is coda right for me? (mail servers)

From: Jerry Amundson <jerry_at_pbs.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:11:07 -0500
On Friday 15 October 2004 11:00 am, Ivan Popov wrote:
> Hello Jerry,
>
> > > Be also aware about server file number limit. 21G data should be
> > > ok, twice as much (in small files) will be probably too much if
> > > you do not distribute data between several servers.
> >
> > I assume this refers to the "volume" limit quoted above... In fact
> > we do have 575000 files stored now, so I'll be splitting storage
> > between multiple volumes in any case.
>
> no, I mean "limit of files per server" not "per volume"
> Splitting between volumes does not help this.
>
> Though, your average file size seems to be relatively big (about 36k
> ?) and the number of files is hence still "acceptable".

A quick recalc puts us at 40k - I really do hate html mail.

Anyway... what is "limit of files per server" based on? You're factoring
in size, which is confusing me (easily done this week, sorry). Also, I
would guess the limitation applies to the entire VSG and not any single
computer system.

Again, thanks.

jerry