Coda File System

Re: Coda Nightmare "or" How coda doesn't like me...

From: redirecting decoy <redirectingdecoy_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 08:57:23 -0800 (PST)
> Not sure, my current guess is that there is
> something whacky with the networking setup. Your
> servers might be multi-homed, firewalled, or some
> other reason why the server cannot set up a working
> connection back to the client.

Ok, maybe. But then why does it work fine without
replication enabled?  Also, I have used both servers
as standalone scm's without problems like I am having
now.

> Maybe bad memory or some other reason that causes
> RVM to get corrupted.
> Are you by any chance using some unusual filesystem
> as a backing store?

I don't ... think its bad memory, but I won't rule it
out. If it is a memory issue, then both my servers
need upgrades. I am using ext3 on all my machines.

> Other possibilities are that you're using a gcc
> version that miscompiles
> some code, or incorrectly pads some structure. Venus
> is an interesting....

I am using:
gcc-3.2.23-34
glibc-2.3.2-95.6

> It also depends on which versions of LWP/RPC2/RVM
> you are linking
> against, especially when you build your own

I am using the latest version of the libraries that
were released with coda 6.0.7.  I am also using the
cvs version of coda now.  I guess I could try using
cvs libraries, but I'm not sure if that will make any
difference.

> There is no 'cfs cs <realmname>', it will interpret
> that names as the
> name of a 'server' and try to bind to it.

oh.

> I accidently broke forcereintegrate a week or two
> before the 6.0.7
> release. It is fixed in CVS, and I will hopefully
> make a new release soon.

> Obtaining new tokens doesn't necessarily reprobe the
> the servers, but it

Don't need to do this as often with replication
disabled.

> I looked at the patch at
> (http://www.verrall.demon.co.uk/mpipov/).
> However if povray has some 'append stuff to
> logfile', then I
> assume that all slaves are trying to append to the
> same file which will
> just create one big conflict.

That is exactly what I am using, and no, it doesn't
append to the same file, it creates a new log file for
every machine that it is running on...

-RD