Coda File System

client-install and server-install disjoint?

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: 22 Jan 2005 14:22:08 -0500
I'm working on updating the NetBSD pkgsrc entry for modern coda.  It
is currently split into coda-client and coda-server packages.  There
are some patches to makefiles to rename some programs as venus- or
vice-, and it seems this is because the same file is installed for
both client-install and server-install.

I'm not sure there is tremendous value in having a server installation
w/o client programs, but cleanliness argues for that.  Certainly many
machines will have client only.

I'd like client-install and server-install to be disjoint (meaning no
files are installed by both) and exhaustive (meaning if both are done
the full set of files is installed).   This may not be feasible it
seems that some programs (au ?) belong in both.  If so, perhaps there
could be a common-install target as well, to ease making a coda-common
package.

(I gather Linux packaging does a full build/install and then subsets
files into packages, so this is not an issue.)

An alternative for NetBSD pkgsc is to put what client-install puts in
the client package, and make the server package depend on the client
package.  While inelegant in that it wastes disk space for client
programs on server-only machines, it seems easier to do that than keep
maintaining patches to rename files on updates.

Thoughts?

--
         Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>