Coda File System

Re: Repair problems

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 19:16:15 +0100
On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 06:16:37PM +0100, Michael Tautschnig wrote:
> >The problems can depend on the situation when the conflict is created -
> >you login and "occupy" the directory, so Venus has hard time exposing
> >the conflict, it cannot do with busy objects. Just a guess...
> >
> Sorry, but I didn't really get the point - what does "occupy" mean here?
> Or does it simply mean, that I sit in that directory - but if so, why

Yes.

> should my whole directory be in conflict?

I recall that a conflict _may_ need to be propagated up, possibly up
to the relevant volume mountpoint. If you happen to occupy the
mountpoint (i.e. if the volume is in use at all), Venus can not expose
the conflict and the things may look very strange.

I have seen some strangenesses (like kind of a race condition)
when I'd login with tokens expired, on a well connected host,
Venus might let me cd to the home directory (like it would in a disconnected
state), then the next second verify and refuse my tokens.
Normally it does not let me to cd, but sometimes it did.
Such situation calls for a conflict (a modification operation can begin
as "allowed" but the server would reject it).

Hope Jan can look at it and say an authoritative word, I am just guessing
from memory.

Regards,
--
Ivan