Coda File System

a possible bug in FreeBSD kernel code?

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 19:49:00 +0100
Venus dies with the following diagnostics
19:25:54 fatal error -- vproc::setattr: no attributes specified
19:25:54 RecovTerminate: clean shutdown

When a user process tries to
install -c  dhcp-options.cat5  \
                        /coda/konvalo.org/sw/pm/1/TOP/i/iscdhcp/V/3.0.1/L/2/TOP/usr/share/man/cat5/dhcp-options.0
/coda/konvalo.org/sw/pm/1/TOP/c/coreutils/V/5.2.1/L/1/TOP/bin/install:
 [HANGS]

My venus is not current (cvs 2004-09-23), but the same verion works on Linux,
doing the same operations fine...

the install command succeeds with copying the file to Coda,
then (at chmod?) Venus dies, so that the install program can not look
for its message files to tell us something, I think.

I am not ready yet to upgrade Venus for a proper test, but it seems something
totally unexpected is coming from the kernel?

It might be triggered by the fact that I am running all mentioned programs
under FreeBSD's Linux ABI, so it is some Linux-ish syscall in the FreeBSD
kernel, which makes Venus choke.

Any ideas?

--
Ivan