Coda File System

Re: Realms and machine names

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:12:56 +0100
On Thu, Feb 10, 2005 at 06:16:10AM +0800, Alan Tam wrote:
> >It does not work well (though it works) with a client and a server
> >on the same host.
> >

> I don't think it is very efficiently, but is probably the best we can do
> if we want the data to be accessed mainly on one machine and sometimes
> somewhere else.

Alan,

no, if you put a server on the same machine where you are going to access
the data, it would slow down the access, compared to a server side-by-side with
the client, but on a separate host. A client and a server on the same
machine compete for resources, like virtual - and of course the real - memory.

Regards,
--
Ivan