Coda File System

Re: Coda-client-setup 0.5 released

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_konvalo.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:59:25 +0100
On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 11:25:16PM +0100, Ivan Popov wrote:
> Now it works also on NetBSD 2.0 on Intel x86 32-bit processors.

As I wanted to test the functionality, I moved on to using
a NetBSD host as a "primary workstation".

Unfortunately, I had to conclude that the Coda kernel module has problems.
After some Konvalo usage (populating the cache via strictly readonly,
tokenless operations) processes begin to hang on access to some file(s?),
it is possible to kill -9 such process, but the relevant file is inaccessible,
any retry hangs forever.

Then the system becomes unstable and hangs totally.

I have observed crashes after reboot (without venus reinit),
very soon after the system is up it falls to the kernel debugger
complaining about inconsitent locking of a parent and a child.

What is the status of the Coda kernel module on NetBSD?
How current/maintained is it?

I can guess that *BSD kernel modules may share some common bugs
from long ago... FreeBSD showed me problems while reintegrating, and I think
Christer observes similar pattern on Darwin (he used FreeBSD code as the
template). Though the NetBSD problem is different, as it shows up
on readonly operations.

Would anybody with *BSD kernel knowledge or/and running Coda on *BSD
comment on my observations?

I was delighted to run on a compact NetBSD installation, at the same time
enjoying the full range of my favourite programs directly from Coda.
Let us make it stable?

Regards,
--
Ivan