Coda File System

Re: Coda-client-setup 0.5 released

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:37:58 +0100
On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 10:01:42AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Before we go down this path, I'd like to see a high-level plan for
> dealing with this.  The NetBSD kernel interface, at least, seems not
> to do per-user checking of credentials against objects in the
> minicache.  So, I think it's probably necessary to fault per-uid
> permissions into the minicache from venus when a new uid accesses an
> object.

Hm, in my naivety I did not account for Venus being bypassed.
Or do I misunderstand?
Is it really possible to open a file without consulting with Venus?

>   I want to be able to walk to any reasonably maintained computer,
>   whose administrator ran "coda-client-setup" once, use Coda and feel safe.
>   It is perfectly possible, isn't it?
>
> Perhaps for you, but the set of people I trust to run a computer well
> enough to trust it is pretty slim anyway.

There is the opposite issue as well, I want to be able to
use Coda realms which do not employ IPsec.
I think I can trust some of them :)
though definitely not the network in between...

Regards,
--
Ivan