Coda File System

Re: Coda-client-setup 0.5 released

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:37:01 +0900

    Jan> On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 07:34:54AM +0100, Ivan Popov wrote:

    >> The compilation and changes I applied are documented in
    >> /coda/konvalo.org/sw/pm/1/TOP/c/coda/V/cvs20050303/L/2/NOTES
    >> and corresponding
    >> /coda/konvalo.org/sw/pm/1/TOP/c/coda/V/cvs20050303/L/2/BUILD/patch.*
    >> (including your contributions, Stephen, thanks - mentioned in
    >> .../NOTES)

    Jan> I browsed through your patchsets.

Thanks to Ivan and Jan!

I updated and rebuilt the Coda userspace on Mac OS X 10.3.8 (Apple
PowerMac G4) yesterday afternoon and successfully started and mounted
both my server and testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu.  (My report was that
venus hung just before the mount.)  Using the konvalo version I've
already accomplished a fair amount of useful work, so I'll start
moving non-mission-critical work over to Coda, and get to work on
reporting (and maybe even squashing) some bugs.

    Jan> patch.no-lresolv

    Jan>     Seems to be against modular clog. configure should pull
    Jan> -lresolv into $(LIBS) if the platform happens to need it.

configure failed to get it right for me on Mac, I forget the details.
My rebuild yesterday was just a remake, and I managed to overwrite my
from-bootstrap build log in the process.  I'll blow all of userspace
away and rebuild from bootstrap.sh, and let you know.

BTW, somebody seems to have been doing a lot of work on warning
elimination!  (Or did you just turn them off? ;-)

    Jan> patch.modular-clog

    Jan>     Not sure if I want to merge it just yet, although it
    Jan> looks like it is getting some decent testing already.

How about a configure option, --enable-modular-clog?  The modular clog
seems to actually solve some problems for beginning Coda admins, so
the tradeoff between adding (and defaulting to) modular clog as an
option and answering clog FAQs looks favorable to me (YMMV, of course).