Coda File System

Re: Help with rvm_malloc's error -9

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 23:41:47 +0100
On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 05:12:42PM -0300, Gabriel B. wrote:
> the /vicepa was about 5% of the 16M inodes and 10% of the 9GB (on top
> of reiserfs). So, now i just created a new /vice/DATA with 1GB
> (previously it had 130MB) and recreated the 20MB /vice/LOG

That says it all.

You need a lot of RVM for a lot of files.

I usually use a very-really-too-approximate estimation of the reliable ratio
being about 1G rvm per 1M files (which in general means one should not
plan for more that 1 million files on a server).

Your 200K (?) inodes exhausting 130M RVM fit that estimation nicely.

> now i'm filling it again with the same data volume with an audacious
> client on the server

Your copy can succeed now given that sufficiently big RVM.

> On another machine i'm testing with 12 /vicepX of 3Gb each, and the
> same data (wich is about 5GB of tiny 3~30KB each)

I don't think there is a point in doing that...

Regards,
--
Ivan