Coda File System

Re: updatesrv and strange ports

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:36:49 -0400
On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 02:14:43PM -0600, Patrick Walsh wrote:
> 	OK, this makes sense.  It's unfortunate, though.  We like to run
> firewalls on each of our servers and to be pretty strict about what gets
> through.  We'll have to implicitly trust certain IP addresses to get
> updatesrv to work, or else implement one of your suggested workarounds.
> Thanks for the quick feedback though.  I've added this info to the wiki.

I've added an new option,

    updatesrv -port 2433

which will force it to bind to port 2433 and register that port with
rpc2portmap. Of course updateclnt will still be bind an arbitrary port,
but now you can have a firewall rule that only allows other coda servers
to connect to the updatesrv daemon. It is a pretty trivial change, it
will be part of coda-6.0.9.