Coda File System

Re: Coda release 6.0.9

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:59:54 +0200
Hi Jan,

thanks for the great work!

Still I have some question marks -

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 04:37:39PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
>   - Avoid permission denied errors when an authenticated user revokes
>     his tokens or when they expire.

the wording seems to be a bit unfortunate.

Does it mean switching to disconnected semantics, something else,
or using unauthenticated connections? I assume you mean the last.

Using unauthenticated connections does not prevent permission denied errors
for protected files, and leads to security weakening for world-readable files
as the unauthenticated connections can be spoofed.
Good as a temporary measure, for conveniency, but IM very HO
it should not survive longer than when we switch to real cryptography,
anyway not as the default behaviour.

>   - Returning 1 as the directory link count so that the find -noleaf option is
>     no longer necessary.

I guess it is not worse than otherwise - as we did not follow Unix
traditions about dirlinks anyway.
Still, I think the culprit has always been gnu find, -noleaf should have been
the default mode, not vice versa.
There are many other filesystems which in one or another way differ from
"exact optimizeable dirlink behaviour" - like dirlink count wrapping over 2^16.
Now it is filesystems who are adapting themselves to gnu find... a bit odd :)

>   - Added a pretty much all of the old manpages that I could find.

That's great.

Again, thanks.
--
Ivan