Coda File System

volume connection timeouts

From: Patrick Walsh <pwalsh_at_esoft.com>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 10:47:32 -0600
	We're having some problems in our testing now and I'm a little bit out
of my depth.  We want to have coda as the shared storage for apache.
The apache user, www-data, gets tokens that give it read-only access to
the httpd directory and write access to the logs directory.  There's
nothing fancy in the setup.  For testing purposes, the coda client and
server are on the same vmware machine.  There's only a single server.
We're strongly connected and checkservers shows all up.  This is Coda
6.0.8.

	Try to `ls httpd` and get "permission denied".  Try to `cfs la httpd`
and get "httpd: Connection timed out".  Try `cfs flushobject httpd` and
get "can't flush active file".  Stopping apache and then checking with
lsof shows no open files on /coda anywhere, but the same thing keeps
happening.

	OK, now for the logs.  This is all happening on a coworker's computer
so I took notes on what's up so the error strings might not be exactly
right.  I'm only writing down samples of anything unusual.  A number of
the errors happened for multiple volumes.

venus.log:
	CacheFile::ValidContainer: 00/00/00/2B invalid

console:
	8 volume replicas
	6 replicated volumes  (is this a strange discrepancy?  there should
only be 6 volumes)
	Local inconsistent object at ???/html/blah/blah, please check (this is
on the httpd volume)
	worker::main got bogus opcode 35

SrvLog:
	SFS: There are some volumes without any inodes in them
	DCC: Salvaging logs for volume 0x1000001
	Vnode 0xb54 has no inode number
	SFS: No inode summary for volume 0x100001; skipping full salvage
	SalvageFileSys: unclaimed volume header file or no Inodes in volume
0x10000001
	SalvageFileSys: therefore only resetting inUse flag

	ValidateVolumes: 0x7f000002 failed

	We can reproduce this reliably on a clean install and a reboot doesn't
fix it.  The files in httpd are put there using a standard `cp -dR`
operation.  I'm not at all sure how to go about debugging the issue.  I
can't find mention of it anywhere, but I thought I recalled something
about putting null entries in each directory and I wasn't sure if I
should be doing that, whatever exactly that is.

	Thanks in advance for any help.  I really want coda to work for us.

--
Patrick Walsh
eSoft Incorporated