Coda File System

Re: Problem while compinling coda 6.0.10

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen_at_xemacs.org>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 11:00:31 +0900

    Greg> My advice is to choose whether you want lwp/rpc2/rvm from OS
    Greg> packages, or from CVS, and have only one or the other.

I only use CVS, but I produce .debs using the coda-provided
infrastructure in the debian subdirectory of each module.  I don't
think that's relevant to the issue.

My issue is that

for pkg in lwp rvm rpc2 coda; do my_build_script $pkg; done

as far as I can tell results in coda binaries built against
$INSTALLED/{include,lib}, not $SOURCE/{lwp,rvm,rpc2}/{include,lib} (or
wherever the resources are available in the source trees).  This
rarely is a problem because of the relative stability of the APIs, but
back when I was building coda on a weekly basis or so I more than once
ran into problems that would be fixed just by adding an extra
lather-rinse cycle.  OTOH, I don't want to just install the
prerequisite modules because coda itself might fail to build, and then
the installation is surely inconsistent.

Now I'd like to get back into that "build frequently" cycle again, but
I'm more dependent on Coda and have less time, so I'm looking for ways
to ensure that the Coda system gets built from scratch as a whole,
ignoring what happens to be running on the host at the time.

I'm pretty sure that the --with-lwp-includes option and friends are
exactly what I need.