Coda File System

Re: Inconsistent files that coda report as not inconsistent

From: Patrick Walsh <pwalsh_at_esoft.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 17:27:54 -0600
> > 	The script that gets run regularly is some variation of the following.
> > It downloads virus updates to a temp directory and moves it to coda:
> >
> > /bin/rm -rf $codadir/update.last
> > /bin/mv $codadir/update $codadir/update.last
> > /bin/mv $tempdir/$subdir $codadir/update

	OK, we're getting somewhere now.  I'm stepping through the cron job and
getting some good feedback.

# /bin/mv /tmp/$subdir $codadir/update
mv: preserving ownership for `/coda/.../memsweep.sy_': Permission denied
mv: preserving ownership for /coda/.../savi.dl_: Invalid argument
mv: preserving ownership for `/coda/.../aflet-a.ide': Permission denied

	It turns out that the beginning of the script copies over the directory
from coda to tmp.  It then uses a download program to update the
directory structure and copies everything back.  So as soon as the first
inconsistency happened, the dangling sym link was copied to /tmp, then
copied back to coda.  In this way we were getting our fake
inconsistencies.  I've fixed this issue and it remains to be seen
whether or not the inconsistencies keep happening.  I'm testing further
and will send another report soon.

--
Patrick Walsh
eSoft Incorporated