Coda File System

Re: Creating a replicated volume

From: Jeremy Bowen <jeremyb_at_iserve.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 12:33:11 +1200
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 8:22 pm, Ivan Popov wrote:
> Hmm, "mount /coda/mrblue.localdomain/" ?
> You never need an explicit mount command to access Coda.

Sorry, I meant "..using the *mountpoint* /coda/mrblue.localdomain/ ..."

> > Now I'm trying to setup replicated volumes using multiple servers (and
> > I'm failing to comprehend the terminology amongst other things)
> >
> > I've been trying to follow the steps in the documentation and it all
> > seems OK but I fall down when I come to mounting the replicated volumes.
>
> Which documentation do you follow?
> The only more or less up to date pieces are on
>  http://coda.wikidev.net/Main_Page?oldid=788

OK. I'll check this out. I've been using the docs on the web-page but I'll
look at the wiki. OK I see the wiki has been reconstructed from an earlier
version. Previously it was unusable.

The first time I ran vice-setup, the script created a volume for me with the
following command:
createvol_rep / mrblue.localdomain/vicepa

I can use this volume as /coda/mrblue.localdomain from my coda client running
venus. I am able to read and write to this filesystem without problems and I'm
happy with this.

Now when I want to create an additional volume I have a problem with the
terminology and additional volumes. Specifically, what do I call them? How do
I access them? What is the relationship between the volume name, coda
mountpoint and ID# ?

I've tried to create a second volume on my server. I've used the following
command:
createvol_rep /test mrblue.localdomain/vicepa
and this appears to do all the right things. It told me it created a new
replicated volume ID# 7F000001

How do I mount this volume or make it visible to the client ??
In my client filesystem I have /coda/mrblue.localdomain and nothing else.
I was expecting /coda/test or /coda/mrblue.localdomain/test but there is
nothing else there.

This is my /vice/db/VRList file:
/ 7f000000 1 1000001 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
/test 7f000001 1 1000003 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I'm getting horribly confused here. What does the <volname> argument to
createvol_rep relate to ? How do I specify this volume on the client system ?

Some examples of client and server commands would be really useful. Thanks