Coda File System

Re: Coda for syncronizing NFS servers?

From: Ivan Popov <pin_at_medic.chalmers.se>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 11:44:29 +0200
Hi Scott,

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 04:12:32PM -0600, Scott Serr wrote:
> Currently we have offices in several countries that have large NFS
> servers - I think most are NetApps (Network Appliance) NAS.  These are

> Is there a slick way a Coda client could "re-export" by being an NFS
> server for the local computers too?

Coda in theory can be reexported via NFS, by a user space nfs server.

That does not work well, though, even for readonly access - and definitely
is going to break for readwrite, for many reasons, the most obvious
being incompatible access rights semantics of NFS and Coda.
In old days there have been products like AFS-NFS and DFS-NFS gateways
which tried to adress that incompatibility, but there is no lookalike
for Coda and most probably never will be, for other good reasons.

With other words, I guess, you would have to convert all of your clients
to Coda, with all consequences.
Coda does not do well with slow connection between _servers_,
so you'd have all of the servers at one site and clients all over the world.
It may work, but that depends a lot on what the clients do with the data.

I would not encourage such move without a lot of careful evaluation.

Regards,
--
Ivan